[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Guarded self in closures

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed Feb 22 14:57:24 CST 2017

Hi David,

I just shared a draft proposal to introduce guarded closures last week: https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170213/032478.html <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170213/032478.html>.  I think you would find it very interesting.

I considered including a new capture list specifier `guard` in this proposal but decided against it.  Guarded behavior requires prefixing the contents of the closure with a guard clause that returns immediately if the guard is tripped.  This is a property of the closure as a whole, not of an individual capture.  For that reason, I decided that allowing a `guard` specifier for an individual capture would be inappropriate.

Instead, a guarded closure has a guarded by default capture behavior which can be overridden with `weak`, `unowned` or `strong` in the capture list.  The thread on this proposal was relatively brief.  I plan to open a PR soon after making a few minor modifications.

Matthew