[swift-evolution] Strings in Swift 4

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:56:26 CST 2017

Hi Ben,
thank you, yes, I know all that by now.

Have seen that one goes to great lengths to optimise, not only for storage but also for speed. But how far does this need to go?  In any case, optimisation should not be used
as an argument for restricting a PLs functionality that is to refrain from PL elements which are common and useful.?

I wouldn’t worry so much over storage (unless one wants to load a complete book into memory… in iOS, the average app is about 15-50 MB, String data is mostly a fraction of that. In macOS or similar I’d think it is even less significant…

I wonder how much performance and memory consumption would be different from the current contiguous memory implementation?  if a String is just is a plain row of (references to) Character (extended grapheme cluster) objects, Array<[Character>, which would simplify the basic logic and (sub)string handling significantly, because then one has direct access to the String’s elements directly, using the reasonably fast access methods of a Swift Collection/Array.

I have experimented  with an alternative String struct based upon Array<Character>, seeing how easy it was to implement most popular string handling functions as one can work with the Character array directly.

Currently at deep-dive-depth in the standard lib sources, especially String & Co.

Kind Regards
TedvG