[swift-evolution] [Draft] Fix Private Access Levels

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Wed Feb 22 01:37:28 CST 2017

I fully agree. I actually think that applies to both solutions though.  As much as I would like to see the mess around private fixed, I think it needs to be as part of a well considered redesign of the access system that adds enough functionality to stop this cycle.  We can’t just rename things or flip back and forth between options every 6 months.

As an example of what I think *is* an appropriate change is Nevin’s suggestion on another thread to add a single level of submodules (which group files).  As part of this change, ‘private’ would mean private to the submodule (or file if the file is not part of a submodule). Internal/Public/Open would remain unchanged.  Thus you have only private, internal, and public/open… but the fix came as part of unifying with other improvements (and is not just returning to pre-0025).

Thanks,
Jon