[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Re-Review] SE-0104: Protocol-oriented integers

Max Moiseev moiseev at apple.com
Tue Feb 21 17:27:23 CST 2017

> On Feb 21, 2017, at 3:05 PM, Howard Lovatt via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> The re-review of SE-0104 "Protocol-oriented integers" begins now and runs through February 25, 2017. This proposal was accepted for Swift 3, but was not implemented in time for the release. The revised proposal is available here:
>
> 	https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0104-improved-integers.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0104-improved-integers.md>
>

> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
>
> Well worth while. Few nit picks:
>
>   1. Number.init? Description should say BinaryInteger not floating-point.
I’ll update the proposal.

>   2. Number should document that mutating versions of operators can overflow.
>   3. SignedNumber should document that negate and unary `-` can overflow.
Documentation changes noted. Thanks!

>   4. SignedNumber, it is weird that `signum` is a function when other similar things, e.g. `magnitude`, are properties.
I think of it as: magnitude is something the number ‘has’ whereas signum is a completely new thing of the same type.

>   5. Not worth representing `DoubleWidth` as an enumeration, it is obscure and therefore will only confuse people.
>   6. It would be better to put the 'extra' operations into the protocols and provide default implementations, otherwise they are difficult to find.
They are defined as protocol extensions, therefore they should be discoverable through completion and in the generated source code. Or what do you mean by ‘difficult to find’?

Thanks for the feedback!