[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Re-Review] SE-0104: Protocol-oriented integers

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Tue Feb 21 16:39:53 CST 2017

Sent from my moss-covered three-handled family gradunza

> On Feb 21, 2017, at 10:08 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 21, 2017, at 2:15 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my moss-covered three-handled family gradunza
>>
>>> On Feb 21, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> [Proposal: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0104-improved-integers.md]
>>>
>>> Hi, Max (and Dave). I did have some questions about this revision:

>>> What happens to NSNumber here? It feels like the same problem as Character and (NS)CharacterSet.

>>> This is the thing I have the biggest problem with. Endian conversions aren't numeric operations, and you can't meaningfully mix numbers of different endianness. That implies to me that numbers with different endianness should have different types. I think there's a design to explore with LittleEndian<Int> and BigEndian<Int>, and explicitly using those types whenever you need to convert.
>>
>> I disagree. Nobody actually wants to compute with numbers in the wrong endianness for the machine. This is just used for corrections at the ends of wire protocols, where static type has no meaning.
>
> I think Jordan's suggestion is not that LittleEndian<Int> or BigEndian<Int> would be artihmetic types, but that they would be different types, primarily opaque, that can be explicitly converted to/from Int.  When you read something off the wire, you ask for the bytes as one of those two types (as appropriate) and then convert to the underlying type.  Ideally, Int doesn't even conform to the "this type can be read off the wire" protocol, eliminating the common mistake of serializing something using native endianness.

Still, you have to implement those somehow. How do you do that without this functionality in the Integer API?  Turtles have to stop somewhere. We could de-emphasize these APIs by making them static, but "x.yyyy" already is a place of reduced emphasis for integers.