[swift-evolution] Pitch: Much better-performing, Swift-native Progress replacement

Charles Srstka cocoadev at charlessoft.com
Tue Feb 21 08:40:37 CST 2017

> On Feb 21, 2017, at 5:24 AM, Rod Brown <rodney.brown6 at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> I applaud the idea. I too find the (NS)Progress API to be very low quality. It seems a vestige of an earlier time when Cocoa was young and APIs that seem like they should be simple, just... aren't. I would love to see a much better API developed.
>
> I'm curious how this idea of developing something from the ground up works with Apple's preferred idea of using Swift to bring Foundation forward.

There are several ground-up replacements in the Swift overlay already, if you look at the various value types that have been introduced to replace various NS classes (granted, some of them call through to the underlying Foundation API for their implementation, but others don’t). As long as we eventually end up supporting NSProgress’s interface, something like this should be possible to drop in as long as we do it before the ABI stability lockdown.

In any event, I BSD-licensed the code, so it’s free to use whether or not Apple ends up using it, so feel free to give it a try (for performance testing, be sure to compile in Release mode, as it does much better with the optimizations on). If you find any bugs or problems, please let me know.

Thanks,
Charles