[swift-evolution] [Proposal Draft] Remove open Access Modifier

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Tue Feb 21 06:19:29 CST 2017

> On Feb 20, 2017, at 10:44 PM, Dimitri Racordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> We believe this use case is rare and not worth the additional complexity of having an `open` access level in the language.
> Besides, `open` is only applicable on classes and class members while the others can be used on other entities (protocols, structures, ...).
> This asymmetry adds to the complexity of an `open` access level.

Really? Three sentences presenting an unsupported opinion?

SE-0117[1], which proposed the `open` access modifier, spent approximately 1,080 words explaining why adding `open` was a good idea. If you are serious about removing `open`, I would strongly suggest you read that explanation and prepare a similarly well-reasoned and well-supported explanation of why you think removing `open` is a good idea.

  [1] https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0117-non-public-subclassable-by-default.md

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies