[swift-evolution] [pitch] Make swift enum string available to Objc

Derrick Ho wh1pch81n at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:07:59 CST 2017

Swift should not forsake objective-c.  At least not when it comes enum
strings.  Although swift enums are suppose to be swift only, I think we
should add a new attribute to slightly relax that.  I think a good
attribute would be @objcstring.

By adding @objcstring, an objective-c exclusive class will be generated.

@objcstring
enum Planet {
  case Jupiter
}

I have written up a proposal with more details on what it would look for
objective-c.

https://github.com/wh1pch81n/swift-evolution/blob/swift-enum-objc/proposals/NNNN-Swift-enum-strings-ported-to-Objective-c.md

If no one objects to this proposal I'll submit it.

**notes: I am reviving this discussion so that I may submit this for Swift
4 stage 2