[swift-evolution] [Proposal] [Stage–2] `return` consistency for single-expressions

Kevin Nattinger swift at nattinger.net
Sat Feb 18 23:59:51 CST 2017

> On Feb 18, 2017, at 7:33 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 17, 2017, at 12:20 AM, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I’d like to revive an additive proposal that couldn’t make it into Swift 3. This proposal has a small improvement to the language compared to other big features currently being proposed. It almost feels like a bug fix rather than a new feature, but it still needs a full and quick review process.
>>
>> You can read the formatted version here: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/608 <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/608>
> Just MHO, but I consider this syntactic sugar, not a fundamental feature that fits the goal of Swift 4 stage 2.

Not that I’m necessarily in favor of this change, but my impression was that the whole point of stage 1/2 was that anything not allowed in stage 1 is fair game in stage 2 (if it happens; that doesn’t seem to be likely at this point). What exactly is the goal of stage 2 then, should there actually be time for it?