[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0155: Normalize Enum Case Representation

Daniel Duan daniel at duan.org
Sat Feb 18 14:42:58 CST 2017

Hi Brent,

> On Feb 18, 2017, at 3:49 AM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 17, 2017, at 7:26 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> 	Proposal link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0155-normalize-enum-case-representation.md
>>
>> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
>
> I'm torn. Being able to handle the associated value as a tuple is very convenient, but I also want the argument list features described here. In practice, my own enums tend to end up using argument-like parameter labels, which works better when constructing and pattern-matching, but worse when extracting values.
>
> I think I'd like to ask for two changes. One is probably easy; the other is a bit of a stretch.
>
> Easy: Cases should allow internal names for documentation and autocompletion.
>
> 	enum SQLError: Error {
>> 		case valueInvalid(_ underlying: Error, for key: SQLColumnKey, in statement: SQLStatement)
>> 	}
>> 	throw SQLError.valueInvalid(error, for: key, in: statement)
>> 	switch sqlError {
> 	case let .valueInvalid(<#underlying#>, for: <#key#>, in: <#statement#>):
>> 	}

A very natural conclusion if one wants to use enum constructors like real functions. When I considered this, my reaction to it myself was that the internal name may not be very useful in a meaningful way. In pattern matching, for example, the variables declared in the pattern are the counterpart of internal name. Using the would-be external labels for associated values’ labels (hey, they are both called “labels”!). The last thing to note: we can add internal name later without making a breaking change.

IMO this is worth considering if the community consider it valuable.

> Stretch: There should be a way to extract the associated values during a pattern match as a tuple. Sketch (with strawman syntax):
>
> 	// Different forms of the same case statement:
> 	case let .valueInvalid(underlying, for: key, in: statement):
>
> 	case let params in . valueInvalid:
>
> 	case let params in . valueInvalid(_:for:in:):
>
> 	case let (underlying, key, statement) in . valueInvalid:
>
> 	case let (underlying, key, statement) in . valueInvalid(_:for:in:):

Someone brought this up in the draft discussion as well. I prefer to delay this feature until we have a clearer story on “splats”. Since this is “splat” in reverse, the syntax could be related.