[swift-evolution] [Manifesto] Ownership

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sat Feb 18 10:08:59 CST 2017

Hi John,

This is fantastic!  I’ve been eagerly anticipating this.  It looks very much as I was hoping it would.  I can’t wait to see this vision come to life!

You only show a mutating generator example.  Do you also plan to allow shared generators?

One topic you don’t touch on that feels related is the ability to use RAII and rely on deferred deinit to ensure an owned resource isn’t released before the scope exits.  I can imagine something like `defer let resource = MyResource()`.  It may also be interesting to support “defer only” types to force a compiler error where non-deferred use would be incorrect.  What do you think?