[swift-evolution] Implicit conversion between primitive types

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 10:05:27 CST 2017

The idea of "f for Float" has been raised here. Core team members have said
that it's been explicitly avoided in Swift on purpose, because in their
judgment it has low readability. Instead of "5.0f" you write "5 as Float".

(Unless I'm mistaken, you can also change the default floating point type
to Float in your own code.)

As to promotion for primitive values, it's something that the core team has
said they're aware of and requires design. However, as Matthew said, Float
could be promoted to Double but never vice versa with that feature.