[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Support for pure functions. Part n + 1.

Nicolas Fezans nicolas.fezans at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:58:45 CST 2017

I do not see the rationale behind marking impure functions explicitly.
The useful property is to be pure, in case a function is impure or
it's status is unknown you just have to assume the worse, i.e. that it
is impure.

The arrow proposals -> vs. ~> vs. => are not really much shorter than
the 4 letters of the pure keyword but just confusing and frightening
for newcomers (BTW __pure exists in GCC if I remember well) whereas
"pure func" is something that people can easily google in case they
need to learn the concept. The different arrows are very compact but
feel a bit like J, which is a language I would not like swift to look
like.

For closure I would rather see it as in this example

[2.0 , 3.0 , 4.0].map(pure {(x: Double)->Double in return x*x})

just pure preceding the closure and it would preceeds "func" in "pure
func". (it could be @pure in both case too)

Nicolas