[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Support for pure functions. Part n + 1.

T.J. Usiyan griotspeak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:13:08 CST 2017

Anton,

It is my opinion that you are describing an entirely different, and
somewhat orthogonal, feature. I would like the feature that you describe.
Constant expressions are powerful and open up quite a few optimizations.
What constexpr addresses is not purity, at the heart of it. Pure
expressions that accept compile-time-known values are, by happy accident,
compile-time-computable, but pure expressions that accept dynamic values
are not. Conflating the two qualities of being compile-time-known and being
pure within the same keyword and overloading it in this way is not
desirable to me.

Thank you,
TJ