[swift-evolution] final + lazy + fileprivate modifiers

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:19:35 CST 2017

On 17.02.2017 11:29, Slava Pestov via swift-evolution wrote:

>> On Feb 17, 2017, at 12:09 AM, Charlie Monroe via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> True, what I meant was a wider feedback - let's face it, there are many
>> more Swift developers now than 2 years ago.
>>
>> My objection is not to the documentation itself, but to the fact that I'm
>> unnecessarily exposing an internal implementation detail to the rest of
>> the module. Being able to hide it from the rest IMHO leads to better
>> though-through API that is indeed meant to be exposed; whereas exposing
>> internal details leads to allowing various quick hacks instead. We know
>> these quick hacks very well from the ObjC world by accessing private
>> parts of the object via duck typing or setting values via KVO.
>>
>> At least this is my experience with which the less implementation details
>> are exposed to the outer world, the better.
>
> I think the fundamental disagreement we’re seeing in this thread is the
> meaning of “outer world”; to some, it means “users of your module”. To
> others, it also means “other developers on my team who are working on other
> files in the module”.
>
> Personally I feel enforced encapsulation of implementation detail to the
> latter group is less important than the former, and can be handled by
> convention. Whereas other users of your module definitely benefit from
> access control and being able to consume a clearly-defined interface.

I assume we are discussing access modifiers mainly for the former group,
i.e. when we are "inside" the module (even when this module is written by
the same one person, and especially when it is written by the group).

"handled by convention" - are we talking about something like declaring
props and methods as __privateprop , m_privateprop etc and write comments
to mark that they should not be used outside of some scope? Is it really
Swifty and acceptable for the modern language? Will this help to prevent
some mistakes with incorrect access? Is it better than simple and clean
schema for access modifiers and compiler's help?  I don't understand this.

IMO, access modifiers is very known and handy abstraction to distinct
levels of access and to structure code many developers knows about and use
in other languages.
At the end, if one wants to keep all internal - no problems!, you can do
this right now, just don't use fileprivate/private/etc.

Yes, I agree we need a simple and clean schema, not over-complicated, we
need nice&clean keywords, we need a required minimum of access modifiers,
not more, and I do believe currently we don't have this minimum.

Was already suggested, trying again(I do believe this could be a
compromised solution to suit needs of the main part of developers):
* (as currently) public/open -> outside of the module
* (as currently) internal -> inside module
* private -> inside file (instead of fileprivate)
* protected(or *other* keyword) -> inside file + subtype&extensions in the
*same module*

What objections could be made for this?
Thank you.