[swift-evolution] [Pitch] consistent public access modifiers

Jeremy Pereira jeremy.j.pereira at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 05:59:49 CST 2017

> On 15 Feb 2017, at 11:11, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> Our philosophy in general, however, is to default to the behavior which preserves the most flexibility for the library designer.

Actually, I thought the philosophy was to preserver type safety. When did that change?

Also, when was the library designer prioritised ahead of the application developer?

> Both open and non-open classes are common, but we chose to give non-open classes the `public` keyword because that's the flexibility-preserving option.

No it isn’t, it’s the flexibility restricting option. The consumer of an open class can subclass it. The consumer of a public class cannot subclass it. How is the second more flexible than the first?