[swift-evolution] Class and Subclass Existentials (Round 2)

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Tue Feb 14 09:36:14 CST 2017

> On Feb 14, 2017, at 3:57 AM, Slava Pestov via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 14, 2017, at 1:30 AM, Adrian Zubarev <adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com <mailto:adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Why can’t we completely ban this?
>>
>> protocol A {}
>> protocol B {}
>> typealias AB = A & B
>>
>> protocol C : AB {} // Allowed, but could be also banned
>>
>> protocol D : A & B {} // Error
>>

> I didn’t even know the last one there was banned. /me hangs head in shame.
>
> I think either both should be supported, or neither one should be supported. I’m leaning toward the former :-)

I agree.

> However note that unlike protocols that inherit from classes, this does not create any conceptual difficulties in the language; it’s merely a syntactic quirk. I’m more concerned about banning protocols that inherit from typealiases that contain classes.

In my mind, allowing a protocol to “inherit” from a class would be the same as a supertype requirements.  I imagine the following to be roughly equivalent in meaning:

protocol Foo {}
func takesFoo<F: Foo where F: MyClass>(foo: F) {}

protocol Foo: MyClass {}
func takesFoo<F: Foo>(foo: F) {}

All we’re doing is moving the supertype constraint to the protocol itself rather than requiring it to be repeated everywhere the protocol is used.  What conceptual difficulty is involved in allowing this?  Maybe I’m missing something, but I just don’t see it.

A second example that builds on the subtype existential syntax:

protocol Foo {}
typealias Bar = MyClass & Bar

func takesBar<B: Bar>(bar: B) {}

A third example using the typealias in creating a new nominal protocol:

protocol Three: Bar {}

would be equivalent to

protocol Three: MyClass, Foo {}

If we don’t allow this we are not preventing users from adding supertype constraints to a protocol.  We’re just requiring them to expose a protocol *without* the supertype requirement and use `&` (maybe with a typealias) everywhere they actually mention the protocol in their interface.  This seems a little bit fragile and boilerplate-y.  What is the downside of allowing a protocol that is intended to always have a supertype constraint from stating it directly in the declaration of the protocol?