[swift-evolution] [Pitch] consistent public access modifiers

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Sun Feb 12 00:50:43 CST 2017

Hi Matthew,

I've read your proposal ideas and most of the discussions on the thread, and I'd like to provide some personal feedback.

Swift already has a complicated "access modifier" story so I think we really want a good reason to introduce a new one. And the problem I see is that `closed` has much less semantic weight than the other modifiers.

First of all, the Library Evolution document you linked says toward at the top that "this document is primarily concerned with binary compatibility, i.e. what changes can safely be made to a library between releases that will not break memory-safety or type-safety, or cause clients to fail to run at all." It seems to me that the @closed introduced in that document is much more about library resilience than about only closing down the addition of new cases: that's why it also talks about reordering and all other changes that can change the memory layout.

Swift 3 having introduced both fileprivate and open has complexified the access level story for developers and library authors. That complexity is the cost that we have paid for more expressiveness. But if we continue adding new access control modifiers to express new semantics, we may be going too far: perfect is the enemy of good.

Both of those arguments explain why I think closed should be introduced, but only as a rarely-used attribute for library authors which need to express ABI resilience, and not as an extra access modifier.

David