[swift-evolution] [Pitch] consistent public access modifiers

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 12:40:47 CST 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> `closed`.  It may also be `open`.
>>
>> This proposal is consistent with the principle that libraries should
>> opt-in to all public API contracts without taking a position on what that
>> contract should be.  It does this in a way that offers semantically
>> consistent choices for API contract across classes, enums and protocols.
>> The result is that the language allows us to choose the best tool for the
>> job without restricting the designs we might consider because some kinds of
>> types are limited with respect to the `open`, `public` and `closed`
>> semantics a design might require.
>>

>> Source compatibility:
>>
>> This proposal affects both public enums and public protocols.  The
>> current behavior of enums is equivalent to a `closed` enum under this
>> proposal and the current behavior of protocols is equivalent to an `open`
>> protocol under this proposal.  Both changes allow for a simple mechanical
>> migration, but that may not be sufficient given the source compatibility
>> promise made for Swift 4.  We may need to identify a multi-release strategy
>> for adopting this proposal.
>>
>> Brent Royal-Gordon suggested such a strategy in a discussion regarding
>> closed protocols on Twitter:
>>
>> * In Swift 4: all unannotated public protocols receive a warning,
>> possibly with a fix-it to change the annotation to `open`.
>> * Also in Swift 4: an annotation is introduced to opt-in to the new
>> `public` behavior.  Brent suggested `@closed`, but as this proposal
>> distinguishes `public` and `closed` we would need to identify something
>> else.  I will use `@annotation` as a placeholder.
>> * Also In Swift 4: the `closed` modifier is introduced.
>>
>> * In Swift 5 the warning becomes a compiler error.  `public protocol` is
>> not allowed.  Users must use `@annotation public protocol`.
>> * In Swift 6 `public protocol` is allowed again, now with the new
>> semantics.  `@annotation public protocol` is also allowed, now with a
>> warning and a fix-it to remove the warning.
>> * In Swift 7 `@annotation public protocol` is no longer allowed.
>>
>> A similar mult-release strategy would work for migrating public enums.
>>

> A different line of feedback here:
>
> As per previous reply, I now think if we clarify the mental model of the
> access modifier hierarchy you're proposing and adopt or reject with that
> clarity, we'll be fine whether we go with `closed` or with `@closed`. But I
> don't think the source compatibility strategy you list is the most simple
> or the most easy to understand for end users.
>

> I'm pretty neutral on what kind of source compatibility strategy we would
> adopt.  I am happy to defer to the community and core team.
>

> - I'll leave aside closed protocols, which as per Jordan Rose's feedback
> may or may not have sufficient interestingness.
>

> Jordan supported allowing protocols to have the same choice of contract
> that classes do today. `public protocol` has the same meaning as `open
> class` today so if we want consistency we need a breaking change.

Sure; I was specifically considering the phased introduction of `closed`.
It's been a while since I've thought about how to phase in a change
regarding public protocols and open protocols.

That said, others make good points about _conforming to_ protocols by a
type vs. _refining_ protocols by another protocol, and whether either or
both of these is more akin to subclassing a class.

- With respect to enums, I don't think we need such a drastic whiplash in
> terms of what will compile in future versions. Instead, we could take a
> more pragmatic approach:
>
> 1. In Swift 4, remove the warning (or is it error?) about `default` cases
> in switch statements over public enums. Simultaneously, add `closed` or
> `@closed` (whatever is the approved spelling) and start annotating standard
> library APIs. The annotation will be purely future-proofing and have no
> functional effect (i.e. the compiler will do nothing differently for a
> `closed enum` or `@closed public enum` (as the case may be) versus a plain
> `public enum`).
> 2. In Swift 4.1, _warn_ if switch statements over public enums don't have
> a `default` statement: offer a fix-it to insert `default: fatalError()`
> and, if the enum is in the same project, offer a fix-it to insert `closed`
> or `@closed`.
>

> Why do you say "if the enum is in the same project, offer a fix-it to
> insert `closed`?  If the enum is in the same project we can perform an
> exhaustive switch regardless of its public API contract (except for `open`
> enums if we decide to add those).

Hmm, well now I'm not in favor of my own suggestion. A public enum, though
it may gain or lose cases in future versions, can be exhaustively switched
over in the present whether it's same-module or third-party. No warning or
error should issue on attempting to switch over a public enum without a
default case.