[swift-evolution] [Pitch] consistent public access modifiers

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:35:08 CST 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 8, 2017, at 5:48 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree very much with rationalizing access levels, but I'm not sure I
>> like this proposal for public vs. closed. How would the compiler stop me
>> from editing my own code if something is closed? The answer must be that it
>> can't, so I can't see it as a co-equal to open but rather simply a
>> statement of intention. Therefore I think use cases for the proposed
>> behavior of closed would be better served by annotations and proper
>> semantic versioning.
>>

>> The most important point IMO is that they *are* co-equal in the sense
>> that they define a contract between library authors, library users and the
>> compiler.
>>

> Certainly, `open` and your proposed `closed` both represent contracts
> among library authors, users, and the compiler. But so do other features
> that are not access modifiers--unless your intent is to make all the (not
> yet totally finalized) resilience attributes such as `@inlineable` become
> access modifiers. That both `open` and the proposed `closed` are both
> contracts doesn't make them both access modifiers.
>

> This is a good point.  But `open`, `closed` and `public` have something
> very important in common: they all have meaning with regarding the set of
> cases, subclasses or conforming types and are mutually exclusive in the
> contract they offer in this regard.
>

> To me, the reason one _could_ justify `open` being spelled like an access
> modifier (which I was not supportive of, actually, though I was fine with
> `public` not allowing subclassing) is that it quacks like an access
> modifier in some ways. In particular, since it offers more "access" to a
> class than does `public` by allowing subclassing, one can argue that it
> fits at the top of a hierarchy of access levels.
>
> As you define it, `closed` also makes additional guarantees to the end
> user than does `public` by (self-)imposing restrictions on the library
> author. Thus, it does not fit into a hierarchy of access modifiers where
> each level is more "accessible" than the next. Put another way, my point
> here is that `closed` is not the opposite of `open` in key ways, as the
> names might suggest. In fact, from the perspective of a library user, both
> `closed` and `open` would allow you to do more than `public`.
>

> You make a great point here when you say that `closed` makes additional
> guarantees to the end user, beyond `public`.  `closed` and `open` both give
> users more capabilities by placing additional burden on the library.  In a
> very real sense `closed` *does* provide more visibility to information
> about the type - it guarantees knowledge of the *complete* set of cases,
> subclasses or protocols both now and in the future (modulo breaking
> changes).  In this sense it can be said to be “more accessible than
> public”.  This does form a strict hierarchy, just not a linear one:

Yes, I think we are now on the same page as to the mental model here. As to
whether a non-linear hierarchy is desirable or not, that's a judgment call.

> I admit that the name `closed` doesn’t *sounds* more accessible.  Maybe
> there is a better name?  But `closed` is the name we have all been using
> for this contract and it offers a nice symmetry with open.  One opens the
> set of cases, subclasses, or conforming types to users.  The other closes
> off the ability of the library to add to or hide any members of the set of
> cases, subclasses or conforming types.  The symmetry is in the fact that
> they both say something about the totality of the set of cases, subclasses
> or conforming types.
>
> It’s also worth noting that a `public` type can become `closed` or `open`
> in a future version of a library, but once `closed` or `open` that option
> is fixed forever (modulo breaking changes).  This also suggests the
> hierarchy I visualized above.
>

> As you note, there are some differences in how the `closed` contract is
>> supported.  But that is far less important than the meaning of the contract
>> itself.
>>

> Since the additional guarantees of both `open` and your proposed `closed`
> impose burdens on the library _author_ and offer more flexibility to the
> library _user_, I feel it is highly misleading to make them co-equal but
> antonyms. They are not the "opposite" of each other and the spelling would
> be misleading.
>

> They are not exactly antonyms, but if you think about this in terms of the
> set of cases, subclasses or conforming types their obvious meaning does
> make sense.  `closed` says to users: “you know the complete set”.  `open`
> says to users: “you are allowed to add to the set”.
>
> I suppose this suggests a possible alternative name: `complete`.  That
> would avoid the antonym relationship and maybe be more accurate.

IMHO: nah, if we're comfortable with a non-linear hierarchy as you've drawn
above, `open` and `closed` are fine; if we're not, then no renaming will
fix that. I don't think it's the name, per se; I think my main qualm is
with the necessarily non-linear nature of the hierarchy (and with the
proliferation of access levels).

> [...]
> of boilerplate-y annotation.  Why should we have to write `@closed public`
> when simply saying  `closed` (or `complete`) unambiguously communicates the
> same thing?
>

>> I am opposed to this approach because it penalizes the API contract that
>> I think is often the most appropriate for enums.  I strongly prefer that we
>> adopt the same neutral stance that we when we introduced `open`.
>>

> I would not characterize `open` as a neutral stance. But that's neither
> here nor there.
>

> What I meant by “neutral” is that both `open` and `public` carry the same
> syntactic weight.  The language does not make one or the other more
> convenient for the library author and requires them to make an explicit
> choice.
>

> The problem (as I see it) with your argument is that, in general, the
> following two thoughts are incompatible: (a) the additional burden of a
> public API contract should be opt-in; vs. (b) there should be neutrality as
> to whether or not one assumes the burden of a particular public API
> contract.
>
> Opting in means that one has made the deliberate effort of rejecting some
> sort of more natural or default choice. Writing `@closed public enum` can
> be easily thought of as opting in, because doing so very clearly requires
> actively choosing to add something more than the alternative `public enum`.
>

> Writing `open class` is harder to justify as opting in, because it is not
> as obvious that `public class` is some sort of default. (Hence, why I did
> not think that `open` should have been an access level, though I was fine
> with the proposal otherwise.) The saving grace there is that, in the linear
> hierarchy of access levels, `open` is two steps away from the default
> access level of `internal`, whereas `public` is only one step removed. So,
> one can make the passable rationalization that in choosing `open` one is
> escalating from `internal` to `public` to `open`--i.e., that going the
> extra step can be regarded as the act of opting in by choosing not to stop
> at `public`.
>
> As I see it, one can only be said to opt in to B (vs. an alternative A)
> only to the extent that A and B are not neutral choices but rather in some
> sort of hierarchy. Again, I'm unconvinced `closed` fits into a linear
> hierarchy of access modifiers, and therefore I see spelling `closed` like
> `open` as problematic.
>

> I think part of our disagreement is in the definition of opting in.  What
> *I* mean by that is that the compiler does not make a choice for the user
> because they omitted an annotation.  We require a class visible outside the
> module to chooses `open` or chooses `public`.  By making that choice it
> opts-in to one semantic or the other.  There is no "deliberate effort to
> reject a more natural choice” required at all.  All that is required is

Well here I think we have diametrically opposite views on what is opt-in.
FWIW, I do believe that when most people in the community say that Swift
makes public API commitments opt-in, they intend that statement to mean
that the user must make a deliberate effort to override the compiler
default of not making a public API commitment, not the diametrically
opposite view that the compiler has no default choice.

After all, the default access level in Swift 3 when no access modifier is
specified is `internal`; I was one of the people on this list who made that
suggestion and was overjoyed to see it adopted.

> However, the same logic you used for `open` also works for `closed` using
> the hierarchy I visualized above.  I find the logic of that hierarchy very
> convincing (regardless of the final name we choose for `closed`).

I dislike intensely the contortions I had to go through to justify `open`
as a spelling, and I'd be a little sad to see such reasoning propagate
further. But at the end of the day, I think if we go in with eyes open and
explicitly accept or reject a non-linear access modifier scheme, it'll work
out OK.