[swift-evolution] Compile-time generic specialization

Abe Schneider abe.schneider at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 10:30:44 CST 2017

Hi Slava,

I'm actually less worried about the performance issue and more on the
impact on design. Specifically, calling one generic from another
effectively loses type information. Because of this, specializations
stop working, disallowing certain design patterns. While you can put
your functions inside a protocol or class to overcome this problem,
this can create large monolithic classes (in my case it makes one of
my classes go from ~300 lines to ~1500 lines of code).

I think it might be possible to deal with some of these issues if: (a)
extensions could define methods, not in the protocol, that got
dynamically called; (b) constraints could be placed on extensions of
protocols.

My preference is still allow generics to behave in a fashion similar
to C++ templates (regardless of the underlying implementation), as
making everything have to rely on protocols or classes makes Swift
feel less mixed paradigm (like c++) and more OOP focused (like Java).
That said, it sounds like that may be difficult to accomplish at least
in the immediate future.

Thanks!
Abe