[swift-evolution] [swift-users] Plan to move swift-evolution and swift-users mailing lists to Discourse

Rien Rien at Balancingrock.nl
Thu Feb 9 11:48:55 CST 2017

> On 09 Feb 2017, at 18:29, Cihat Gündüz via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> @Jan: Your arguments are very subjective if not even insulting and derogatory to many people who invest a lot of time and effort in crafting those things you despise so openly. Here are just a few example quotes for you to reflect your language:
>
> "I despise fp“, „is so annoying“, "made Swift imo a worse language“, "I hate ‚modern' or as I call it ugly“, "Today’s standards are a bag of pain“, "crappy sites als Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Stackoverflow, add lots of other 'cool' sites“, "I can’t stand scrolling“, "I hate both“, "todays absolutely useless crap“, …
>
> Please be aware that this behavior is against the Code of Conduct of the Swift Community. Let’s try to stay objective and justify different opinions rationally instead of personally. Of course it is valid for you to say that you don’t like FP or that you don’t like how the world is changing in general. But please be aware that you have to add the reason why you think it is so in detail, so we understand your thinking and can overcome changes to the wrong direction. Senctences like „I despise FP“ without any explanation are not a form of constructive feedback though, nobody will learn anything from that kind of thing. Currently you’re merely expressing your anger here, no more, no less.

I don’t think he did. He expressed his opinions rather forcefully, but we all tick different. He did not call anybody out specifically.
And just because somebody spend a lot of time on something does not make it great. And maybe they need to hear it this way to “get the message”. Sugar coating can do a lot of harm.

Btw: this does remind me of some of things I heard about a former -too early deceased- leader of apple...

Rien.