[swift-evolution] Strings in Swift 4

Ben Cohen ben_cohen at apple.com
Thu Feb 9 09:57:32 CST 2017

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 7:48 AM, Shawn Erickson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I also wonder what folks are actually doing that require indexing into strings. I would love to see some real world examples of what and why indexing into a string is needed. Who is the end consumer of that string, etc.
>
> Do folks have so examples?

Big +1 for this. Real world use cases that are hard today would be great to see so we can make sure they are accounted for in the new API design.

The ideal situation is that there is a common pattern with many of them that can be accommodated through useful higher-level methods (maybe even on Collection) that avoid the need to mess around with indices.