[swift-evolution] !? operator for ternary conditional unwrapping

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Wed Feb 8 09:00:10 CST 2017

I'm a bit undecided, as it seems like it doesn't add enough to warrant another operator to learn (and one that's a bit confusing in its purpose, since it doesn't trap like other exclamation mark operators do).

For the specific example you can already just do:

	func query(name:String?) -> String { return "{ param: \"" + (name ?? "null") + "\" }" }

In the case where the input value isn't an optional string you can still do:

	func myFunc(foo:Foo?) -> String { return foo?.description ?? "null" }

I dunno, I'm just not sure having another ternary adds quite enough to justify it, and like I say it's a bit of an odd operator since it doesn't actually trap. For the specific case of a String a more useful alternative might be the ability to put the ?? operator inside a string, with the compiler knowing the final type must be a String (so you can mix types as long as they're CustomStringConvertible), like so: