[swift-evolution] SE-0151: Package Manager Swift Language Compatibility Version

Martin Waitz tali at admingilde.org
Wed Feb 8 04:33:47 CST 2017

Hi,

Am 2017-02-08 08:54, schrieb Dimitri Racordon via swift-evolution:
> I guess allowing a list of versions to be specified is interesting for
> continuous integration.
> That would allow people to test their code under all intended supported
> version.

That is a valid use-case, but should be specified somewhere else.
In your `.travis.yml` (or whatever), you could specify to compile your
package (and all dependencies)
with different versions of the swift tools.
However, all these different tool versions would still use the
per-package `swiftLanguageVersion` to select the right compiler mode for
each package.
This way, you can test that everything really builds and links with
different tool versions.

I see no reason to include a list of versions in the manifest.
That only creates ambiguities ("works for me" if you happen to have the
right tool version).

-- Martin