[swift-evolution] Warning when omitting default case for imported enums

Dany St-Amant dsa.mls at icloud.com
Tue Feb 7 20:16:52 CST 2017

> Le 7 févr. 2017 à 14:45, Robert Widmann via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> a écrit :
>
> I lean +1, but this answer on its own seems incomplete.  Exhaustiveness is an important property, and it’s not clear what happens here now when you fall through a “complete” case tree without matching a pattern, and in that sense this plan solves a problem.  But it also would hinder a “future-you” from going back and dealing with the ramifications of swapping a dependency for a newer version, in that with a default now covering the rest of the cases the compiler is unable to tell you which cases you are actually missing post-upgrade.

I have not read the ABI stability stuff, so not sure if adding a new case to an enum inside a library can be made backward compatible but that would be nice. Handling this unexpected new value in the currently compiled user code should be as important as telling the owner of the user code that he must handle a new case.

Would a new pseudo-default keyword (unexpected, undefined) help here? Such keyword would require the switch statement to be exhaustive so it doesn't act like 'default' for switch exhaustiveness status at compile time,  but does act like 'default' at runtime.

switch data {
  case .one: { print("one') }
  case .two: { print("two") }
  undefined: { print("unexpected value") }
}

Replacing the library with one providing .three, will cause this previously compile code to print "unexpected value", and would cause the code to fail to compile against this same new library.

Dany