[swift-evolution] Warning when omitting default case for imported enums

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Tue Feb 7 15:32:06 CST 2017

> On Feb 7, 2017, at 1:21 PM, Tanner Nelson <tanner at qutheory.io> wrote:
>
> That's awesome. It looks like `(planned) Open and closed enums` is exactly what I'm looking for.
>
> Would it help if I created a concrete proposal for that or is it something the Swift team already has brewing?

Note that open enums also have to solve ABI stability across versions.

Basically, it sounds like you have an enum for which there is a reasonable default handling in client code for any cases added in future versions of your framework. Note that this is not true of all enums. The current behavior of breaking clients when new cases are added forces them to think about this new variant and their assumptions associated therein. This is very desirable for many enums, even public ones.

An intermediary approach could be to come up with an attribute to convey your intent ala https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0047-nonvoid-warn.md. The idea is to keep default behavior the same, but have something like (straw man syntax) @defaultCaseRequired.