[swift-evolution] Compile-time generic specialization

Robert Widmann devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:46:59 CST 2017

Oh, I see.  The constraint solver is picking an overload that better matches the caller rather than the callee's type, which differs from C++ because the template expansion process considers specific-type overloads more specific.  We don't consider less-generic prototypes than the caller here because we aren't performing a (major) syntactic transformation in the process of solving a system of type variables.   In order to change the language to adopt this feature, Sema would have to have knowledge of the candidate set of specializations, either user-specified or SILOptimizer-generated, beforehand.  It's not impossible to imagine, but it does create an interesting backdependency on future potential optimizations, and would potentially majorly change the behavior of a Debug or Release build (unless specialization were forced at all optimization levels).

~Robert Widmann

>>> Abe