[swift-evolution] [swift-build-dev] Package manager support for versioning (both language and tools)

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sat Feb 4 10:28:25 CST 2017

It’s clear that a lot of work has gone into identifying and evaluating several different approaches.  Thank you for doing the hard work here!

I think I might have one additional alternative to consider.  I like the idea of using Package.swift to specify the tools version, but I think the disadvantages of using a DSL in a comment is less than ideal.  Is there a way we can design this to rely on normal Swift syntax?  For example, what if we required Package.swift to include a line whose first non-whitespace character is the following (possibly allowing trailing comments):

let toolsVersion = ToolsVersion._3_1

This would be supported by a ToolsVersion enum to which we add a new case with each new version of the tools.  If no such declaration is found it will be it would be considered to be 3.0.0 just as with the comment approach.

Is there any reason why using a comment DSL is preferable to something like this?