[swift-evolution] Strings in Swift 4

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Fri Feb 3 11:13:49 CST 2017

A bit late, but I agree with Ben on all of this. We could have separate IncompleteRange and InfiniteRange types, and have a consistent world, and even figure out how to get the context-less case to pick InfiniteRange. But we don’t have to, and I don’t think it buys us anything because—as was said—the two kinds of ranges are never used in the same context. There’s no overload madness.

On the specific point that `for i in 0…` behaves differently than `for elem in arr[0…]`, I think that’s just picking one interpretation of “arr[0…]” and then (legitimately) claiming it leads to nonsense. I see no problem saying that a subscript for an IncompleteRange, or LowerBoundedRange, or whatever gives you the elements starting at that index, but that trying to iterate such a range (when Countable) gives you unlimited iteration. I think this is more a theoretical concern than a practical one.

Jordan