[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Fri Feb 3 02:05:03 CST 2017

> In a mailing list format, everyone is free to start a new thread.
Would a forum have a privilege system that stops newbies from starting threads? I've seen no one proposing that.

> Whether you invented the language or started learning it yesterday, if you have a new idea, it comes into everyone's inbox in exactly the same way. No one's user name has extra flares or trophies or whatever reminding you of their status.

Imho that's just wrong, and this message somewhat proves my point:
There are several users with a "@apple.com" trophy, and I guess most people who spend a significant amount of time on swift-evolution also have developed a preference not only for topics, but also for authors (saving matching posts from being ignored).

The ability to "like" posts would be a remarkable help for newbies to gather attention for their ideas — not because of the status of the author, but because of the quality of their contribution.