[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

James Berry jberry at rogueorbit.com
Thu Feb 2 16:24:57 CST 2017

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 1:45 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 2, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Karl Wagner <razielim at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> somebody build a parallel site to support the style of open community which the core-team seem unwilling/unable to do.
>
> I don't think this is fair. We may not be moving as quickly as you'd like but we are looking into it.

I would encourage everybody to remember that though there have been a vocal few advocating for something other than a mailing list, the question has never really been put to the community for a vote. I think it’s important to remember that while some people on list may be very vocal in advocating for a position, that doesn’t mean the majority of community members agree. At the least, such a matter should be put to a vote or poll once leading options have been identified.

Speaking for myself only, discourse seems to give me little of value, while it would plaster emails with html-laden buttons, etc, thus making my favored experience worse than it is today. I’m fairly happy with using a gmail account and server-side filters to file my swift-evolution mails into a mailbox that I can then read on or offline with the threaded email client of my choice.

James