[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Michael Buckley michael at buckleyisms.com
Thu Feb 2 10:50:24 CST 2017

This morning I received an email from Discourse titled "[Swift Discussions
(Unofficial Test)] Summary". Since this message was sent to my email
address personally, rather than to the swift-evolution address, it appears
that my email address was exported from this list and imported into
Discourse.

At this point, no harm done. This is obviously a self-hosted temporary
Discourse install hosted on Nate's own server. However, I am worried about
how my email address was added to the temporary Discord. I get that this
mailing list can be viewed by anyone, and only slightly obfuscates our
email addresses. Anyone motivated enough can scrape all the email
addresses, but there's a difference between that and Apple handing my email
address to a third party which I may or may not be OK with having it, even
if it's a member of this community.

That's not to say anything bad about Discourse, or to argue one way or
another about whether to move the mailing list, but when I signed up for
swift-evolution, I trusted my email address to Apple for this purpose. It
may be misplaced, but I feel I can trust Apple to not use the email address
for any other purpose, and to keep their servers relatively secure so that
the subscribers list won't leak (again, with the exception of scraping the
addresses).

If Apple ends up hosting its own Discourse server, I won't have any
complaints. But if the decision is made to have it hosted externally, or
another service is chosen, I do not want my email address to be
automatically transferred to the new system. I would like the ability to
chose for myself at that time whether I want to subscribe.