[swift-evolution] for-else syntax

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Thu Feb 2 05:31:36 CST 2017

I'm of two minds on this feature; I kind of support the idea of the construct, especially because there are some behind the scenes optimisations it can do, and it can look neater.
However, I'm not at all keen on the re-use of else; if there were a better keyword I might suppose that, for example "empty" or something like that, but nothing I can think of feels quite right.

I mean, when it comes down to it the "best" way to write the loop is like:

var it = names.makeIterator()
if let first = it.next() {
	print(first)
	while let current = it.next() { print(current) }
} else { print("no names") }

However this is a horrible thing to do in your own code, especially if the loop body is larger than one line, but is just fine if it's done behind the scenes for you (complete with unwrapping of the iterators if their type is known).

Which is why I kind of like the idea of having the construct itself; otherwise, like others, I use the less "correct" option like so (for sequences):

var empty = true
for name in names { print(name); empty = false }
if empty { print("no names") }

At which point I simply hope that the compiler optimises away the assignment (since it only actually does something on the first pass).

So yeah, I can see a use for it, but I'd prefer a construct other than for/else to do it; at the very least a different keyword, as there's the possibility we could also have a while/else as well and it would need to be very clear, which I don't feel that for/else is.