[swift-evolution] Default Generic Arguments

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:05:15 CST 2017

I have concerns about these revisions. It seems you've entirely rejected
all the options that Alexis has laid out very clearly, and instead you've
come up with your own rules which are backwards-incompatible with Swift 3.

For instance, the rule "No type inference will happen in type declarations"
is source-breaking, because type inference currently happens in type
declarations. You would break every instance of `let foo: Optional = 42`.

I would urge you to incorporate Alexis's very clear analysis and then adopt
one of the options he laid out, i.e., either "prefer user" or "do what I
mean." Alternatively, if you like none of his options, I believe that
requiring `<>` to be appended for entirely default arguments would avoid
the issue altogether. Or, if you don't even want to require that, you can
push the whole problem down the road by specifying that, for now, the first
generic type cannot have a default. We can then relax the rules later.