[swift-evolution] Removing enumerated?

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Tue Jan 31 10:46:14 CST 2017

I agree that it's very useful. I use it regularly. The documentation isn't
that unclear, imo. To me, the underlying problem isn't enumerated. I think
the underlying cause is that collections aren't indexed with zero based
indices.if you don't understand this (which is the case for many
experienced programmers new to Swift) it's hard to understand, and (too)
easy to make a mistake.

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 at 17:41, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2017, at 10:36 AM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I totally sympathize with users being confused. It's an interesting idea
> to move it to Array only.
>
> The thing is, it does make sense (and wouldn't be confusing) to enumerate
> a dictionary or set. Moreover, the behavior is _exactly_ what it says on
> the tin: when you enumerate something in real life, there is no sense in
> which the number is related to some sort of index. Can we fix this by
> documentation? Like, a big blaring "don't use this when you want the index”?
>

> +1.  A similar method on collection that provides indices might be useful
> but that doesn’t mean we should remove `enumerated`.  User confusion should
> be addressed by documentation.
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 09:35 Ole Begemann via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> On 31/01/2017 16:19, Ole Begemann via swift-evolution wrote:
> > Here are three previous discussion about this topic:
> >
> > 1) December 2015: [Idea] Add an (Index,    Element) sequence to
> > CollectionType
> >
> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151221/004561.html
> > and
> >
> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151228/004626.html
> >

> > 2) April 2016: [Idea] Replace enumerate() with something more explicit
> >
> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160411/015074.html
> >

> > 3) September 2016: [Proposal draft] Introducing `indexed()`
> collections
> >
> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160926/027355.html
>
> To clarify, the discussions I linked to don't all propose to remove or
> replace `enumerated()`, but they all talk about the potential confusion
> about what `enumerated()` does and does not do.

Sent from my phone