[swift-evolution] Warn about unused Optional.some(())

Alex Hoppen alex at ateamer.de
Tue Jan 31 03:07:01 CST 2017

This was a deliberate change between Swift 3 beta 1 and beta 2 after a friend of mine pointed the following inconsistency out to me:

struct Foo {
  func bar() {}
}
let foo: Foo? = Foo()
foo?.bar() // Does not create a warning
true ? foo?.bar() : foo?.bar()  // expression of type '()?' is unused

After some offline discussion at WWDC with the Swift team we decided to move to a consistent model where ()?, ()??, … is always discardable since we didn't want to take the convenience of foo?.bar() away (something that regularly occurs with weak variables, e.g. captures in closures).

So much for the history of this feature.

– Alex