[swift-evolution] [swift-build-dev] [Review] SE-0149 Package Manager Support for Top of Tree development

Rick Ballard rballard at apple.com
Mon Jan 30 20:28:55 CST 2017

Hi Derrick,

This use case can be solved using `pin --branch`.

If you really wanted to, you could also simply add B as a direct dependency of P to specify a branch; there's no need to "nest" the dependency. If P really does depend on B being on a branch, the manifest for P may be the right place to express that. In general, however, I'd expect that the case you're describing is a workflow use-case, and thus should be accomplished with pinning; it seems uncommon that a package would truly depend on one of its indirect dependencies being on a branch.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please reply on the "Package Manager Support for branches" thread, as (if I understand you correctly) your question is about that proposal, not the "Top of Tree development" proposal.

Thanks,

	- Rick