[swift-evolution] Annotation of Warnings/Errors

Jeremy Pereira jeremy.j.pereira at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:54:48 CST 2017

> On 26 Jan 2017, at 20:45, charles--- via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> Strongly in favour of this one. One of those things that seems obvious in retrospect
>
> It would also make the language more enjoyable to code in.

For you maybe. I like having the issues pop up and then disappear when I’m done with the thing they are complaining about. For example, the issue that tells me that some var I have declared is never mutated is a nice little prompt that I haven’t finished the scope yet.

> When Xcode nags me about my function not providing a return value when I've only just started writing it, I get the irrational urge to tell Xcode to shut its (metaphorical) mouth.

Go to preferences and select the “General” tab. Make sure that “show live issues” is deselected. That tells Xcode to shut up. If beginners are really so confused about the errors popping up (I’m sceptical), maybe that should be lesson one.

I would be dead against any language change that assumes a particular IDE or a particular workflow on the part of all developers.