[swift-evolution] A case for postponing ABI stability

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Thu Jan 26 19:29:58 CST 2017

> On Jan 26, 2017, at 12:19 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Locking down ABI when all foreseeable desirable changes are additive is one thing.  But doing so before we get there feels premature.

I fully agree that locking down the ABI prematurely would be detrimental to the long-term future of the language.

Part of the point of the ABI manifesto is to scope out what are the desirable or critical changes needed before ABI gets locked down.  From that we can have concrete discussions on what’s left to be done, how much work it will take to get there, etc.