[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Thu Jan 26 13:41:48 CST 2017

on Thu Jan 26 2017, Nate Cook <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I forged the mighty, turgid rivers of rubyenv, hand-tweaked gem
> dependencies, and sed-cleaned mbox files to try this out—you can see
> the results of an import (using one or two day old data) at this
> address:
> 	http://discourse.natecook.com/
>
> It looks like the threads were handled properly, though they bear some
> obvious marks of their mailing list origins. Users can actually claim
> their accounts if they do a password reset. However:
> 	- it's hooked up to a trial SendGrid account, which will top out at 100 emails/day
> 	- I should probably delete this soon so Google doesn't think it's the real deal

It's a shame that it has no facility for hiding long quotations.  Trying
to find the actual content in this thread is pretty awful:
http://discourse.natecook.com/t/strings-in-swift-4/2980/13

Once upon a time, there was a tradition of carefully crafting the
presentation of replies to mailing lists
<http://www.slack.net/~ant/usenet-posts.html#replying> but I fear those
days may be behind us.

> I might have mentioned this before, but I'm strongly in favor of
> forum-based solution over the mailing list (at least for this group),
> and Discourse seems to be the best one running right now (and fairly
> open to extension and customization). I made a new topic here to
> demonstrate a couple features (code blocks and inline images):
> 	http://discourse.natecook.com/t/pitch-add-dark-mode-to-swift/3051

That said, I too am strongly in favor of moving to Discourse.

--
-Dave