[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Jacob Bandes-Storch jtbandes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:45:51 CST 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Ted Kremenek via swift-evolution <

> So in short, using mailing lists specifically is not sacred — we can
> change what we use for our community discussions.  I just want an objective
> evaluation of the needs the mailing lists are meant to serve, and work from
> there.  If moving to something like (say) Discourse would be a negative on
> a critical piece that is well-served by the mailing lists, that would (in
> my opinion) a bad direction to take.  I’m not saying that is the case, just
> that this is how I prefer we approach the discussion.

I'm interested in hearing more about the needs *you* feel the lists are
meant to serve. I'm guessing some of this is a strategic matter for the
Swift team, not something that all of us here on the list could fully
articulate.

The valuable things I see are:

- anyone with an idea can discuss it with the community, regardless of
their experience with PLs and compilers.
- multiple community members, and core team members, can collaborate in a
discussion or author a proposal.
- the community can watch and learn from discussion and implementation
processes amongst the core team.
- the core team can disseminate strategic vision and internal decisions
that otherwise would have to wait for the release notes or WWDC, or at
least a blog post.

None of these seem specific to any particular message board/system, except
that they are much more easily attainable with a highly asynchronous
system, like you mentioned.