[swift-evolution] Default Generic Arguments

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:15:11 CST 2017

Srdan, I'm afraid I don't understand your discussion. Can you simplify it
for me by explaining your proposed solution in terms of Alexis's examples
below?

```
// Example 1: user supplied default is IntegerLiteralConvertible

func foo<T=Int64>(t: T) { ... }

foo(22)
//  ^
//  |
//  What type gets inferred here?
```

I believe that it is essential that the answer here be `Int` and not
`Int64`.

My reasoning is: a user's code *must not* change because a library *adds* a
default in a newer version. (As mentioned in several design docs, most
recently the new ABI manifesto, defaults in Swift are safe to add without
breaking source compatibility.)

Here, if version 1 of a library has `func foo<T>(t: T) { ... }`, then
`foo(22)` must infer `T` to be `Int`. That's just the rule in Swift, and it
would be severely source-breaking to change that. Therefore, if version 2
of that library has `func foo<T=Int64>(t: T) { ... }`, then `foo(22)` must
still infer `T` to be `Int`.

Does your proposed solution have the same effect?

```
// Example 2: user supplied default isn't IntegerLiteralConvertible

func bar<T=Character>(t: T) { ... }

bar(22)
//  ^
//  |
//  What type gets inferred here?
```

By the same reasoning as above, this ought to be `Int`. What would the
answer be in your proposed solution?