[swift-evolution] Strings in Swift 4

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Wed Jan 25 12:23:31 CST 2017

> On Jan 24, 2017, at 9:35 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> On Jan 24, 2017, at 12:05 AM, Chris Eidhof via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I agree that being able to implement parsers in a nice way can be a huge step forward in being really good at string processing.
>
> +1 from me as well, I agree with Joe that Swift can learn a lot from Perl 6 grammar’s and we should take the time to do it right.  Below I say “regex” a lot, but I really mean a more general grammar system (and even Perl 5 regex’s aren’t regular :-)
>
>> There are a couple of possibilities that come to mind directly:
>>
>> 1. Build parsers right into the language (like Perl 6 grammars)
>> 2. Provide a parser combinator language (e.g. https://github.com/davedufresne/SwiftParsec <https://github.com/davedufresne/SwiftParsec>).
>> 3. Rely on external tools like bison/yacc/etc.
>> 4. Make it easy for people to write hand-written parsers (e.g. by providing an NSScanner alternative).
>

> My opinion is that #1 is the right path to start with, but it wouldn’t preclude doing #2.  Here’s my rationale / half-baked thought process:
>
> There are two important use cases for regex's: the literal case (e.g. /aa+b*/) and the dynamically computed case.  The former is really what we’re talking about here, the latter should obviously be handled with some sort of Regex type which can be formed from string values or whatever.  Regex literals in an expression context should default to producing the Regex type of course.
>
> This means that when you pass a regex literal into an API call (e.g. split on a string), it is really just creating something of Regex type, and passing it down.  If you wanted to introduce a parser combinator DSL, you could totally plug it into the system, by having the combinators produce something of the Regex type.
>
> So why bless regex literals with language support at all?  I see several reasons:
>
> 1. Diagnostics: These will be heavily used by people, and you want to have good compiler error and warning messages for them.  You want to be able to validate the regex at compile time, not wait until runtime to detect syntactic mistakes like unbalanced parens.
>
> 2. Syntax Familiarity: To take advantage of people’s familiarity with other languages, we should strive to make the basic regex syntax familiar and obvious.  I’d argue that /aa+b*/ should “just work” and do the thing you think it does.  Relying on a combinator library to do that would be crazy.

> [...]

Another good reason to bake them into pattern matching is that it would make it easier to optimize when you want to match one of multiple patterns. Often, you don't want just one grammar, but possibly one of many, and it'd be nice if switch-ing over multiple string patterns led to a reasonably efficient DFA/NFA/rec-descent machine based on the needs of the grammars being matched.

-Joe