[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0150 Package Manager Support for branches

Bouke Haarsma bouke at haarsma.eu
Wed Jan 25 01:34:08 CST 2017

On 2017-01-24 18:18:07 +0000, Daniel Dunbar via swift-build-dev said:

> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of SE-0150 “ Package Manager Support for branches" begins
> now and runs through January 31, 2017. The proposal is available here:
>

> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0150-package-manager-branch-support.md
>

> Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All
> reviews should be sent to the swift-build-dev and swift-evolution
> mailing lists at
>   https://lists.swift.org/mailman/listinfo/swift-build-dev
> or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the
> review manager. When replying, please try to keep the proposal link at
> the top of the message:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0150-package-manager-branch-support.md
>

> What goes into a review?
>
> The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review
> through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction
> of Swift. When writing your review, here are some questions you might
> want to answer in your review:
>
> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?
This has been a feature request of mine for quite a while now. I'm a
supporter of this proposal. Also having the actual revision number in
the pin file is a great way to make sure everyone useses the exact same
revision (if the pin file is also versioned).

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
> change to Swift?
Yes.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
> feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I've also used pip (python), which something similar. However pip's
syntax for installing from a branch is more cumbersome and different to
installing the latest release; e.g. (taken from SO):

   pip install django-oscar-paypal
   pip install
git+https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar-paypal.git@issue/34/oscar-0.6

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
> reading, or an in-depth study?
Quick reading.

> More information about the Swift evolution process is available at
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/process.md
> Thank you,
>
> - Daniel
>
> Review Manager