[swift-evolution] Reduce with inout

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Tue Jan 24 09:15:00 CST 2017

> On Jan 24, 2017, at 8:12 AM, Chris Eidhof <chris at eidhof.nl> wrote:
>
> But if we want to add "copyOf" we should do that to every method that takes a struct? Also, what if you pass in an object?
>
> I see the concern, but I don't think adding `copyOf` will increase clarity. That said, I'm open to suggestions.

I’m not really trying to advocate for “copyOf”.  I think we should really have something more concise in a case like this.  My main point is that just using `mutating` is inaccurate and therefore probably not the right solution.

Your question about passing in an object (I assume you mean a reference type here) is a good one.  In an ideal world that would probably not be allowed as it doesn’t really make sense to replace the reference during reduction.  Unfortunately I don’t think we have a way to prevent that at the moment.

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com <mailto:xiaodi.wu at gmail.com>> wrote:
> It's only verbose if the words aren't needed! The shortest way to describe something with sufficient accuracy can never be verbose, let alone undesirable, and I highly agree with this concern. We already have names of this form, such as `FloatingPoint.init(signOf:magnitudeOf:)`.

I mostly agree with this Xiaodi, but I also think that commonly known and frequently used methods like `reduce` deserve to be as concise as possible.  That is less a concern with less common and less frequently used signatures.