[swift-evolution] A case for postponing ABI stability

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Tue Jan 24 02:12:48 CST 2017

Imho the major problem is that there's quite a lot confusion about what ABI stability actually means — and a lot uncertainty which proposals would actually affect it.
People with more insight may prove me wrong, but I'll lay out my understanding in the next paragraph:
It shouldn't be hard to have several versions of the stdlib installed, and no one talks about API stability (which is great as well — but a superior API imho is better ;-)
ABI is very low level and affects the junction of software and hardware (which bits are put into which location when a function call happens, utilisation of registers…).

I'm not really sure if the String-changes affect the ABI, but none the less, I strongly agree with your opinion that things shouldn't be done in a hurry, and I hope that Swift keeps the courage to break things for the better (sporadically ;-)

- Tino