[swift-evolution] [Discussion] mailing list alternative

Ethin Probst harlydavidsen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:53:36 CST 2017

We will, but we can't do any rewriting of anything until Swifts server
library is up and running, which I believe it is not (feel free to
correct me if I am wrong).
I'll go a little further and give a +4 for discourse. Or anything
else. My email is filled with a total of 13808 e-mails. 141 of those
are from the swift-evolution mailing list and 52 of those are from the
swift-users one, for a total of 193 e-mails. Do you think I'm willing
to browse all of those to determine what's going on? Hell no! A forum
would allow us to get the most germane and contemporary dialogue for
all the members. Why not just forumize all of the mailing lists, and
not just this one? Make it use only one instance of the forum software
and make separate categories--or forums, even--for each list so that
it's all rationalized. It would save people a lot of headaches trying
to remember URLs.

On 1/23/17, David Sweeris via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>> On Jan 23, 2017, at 09:59, Joshua Alvarado via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> It will be painted! ;)
>>
>> So far we have:
>> +2 Disclosure
>> +1 Slack
>> +1 Issue tracker
>>
>> Let's really get everyone's opinions and see if we can get this rock
>> rolling towards a better solution. Of course it will be Apple's choice in
>> the end but we can give a voice on the matter to show we do care about
>> moving over.
>
> I'd even be happy with phpBB. I wonder if there's an issue tracker plugin
> yet?
>
> Whatever we use, we'll have to rewrite it in Swift, though, since this is
> supposed to be a language for server apps.
>
> - Dave Sweeris

Signed,
Ethin D. Probst