[swift-evolution] Reduce with inout

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Mon Jan 23 00:56:07 CST 2017

Not as a direct reply to Russ, but just to reiterate: to me, there are two
clear benefits of using the `inout` version of reduce:

1. The performance (currently discussed at length)
2. Readability (because we can use mutating methods on `inout` arguments).

Even if the compiler were to optimize the unnecessary copy of `return arr +
[el]` away, there are still a lot of other mutable methods that you might
want to use within the reduce closure. So I think the proposal is still
very valid even if the compiler optimizations would magically appear
tomorrow.

To push this proposal forward a little bit, I'd like to come up with a good
name. It seems like we shouldn't overload `reduce`, but choose a different
name, so that we don't stress the typechecker. Any other suggestions?

--
Chris Eidhof