[swift-evolution] protocol-oriented integers (take 2)

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 16:20:52 CST 2017

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> on Sun Jan 15 2017, Xiaodi Wu <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> > There _may_ be value in recognizing the distinction between rings and
> > fields, perhaps? Just as the FP protocols make room for people to
> implement
> > their own decimal FP types, and just as you're trying to make Arithmetic
> > accommodate complex numbers, the distinction would allow someone to write
> > algorithms generic over rationals and reals (i.e. fields). Being able to
> > represent exact fractions isn't so terribly niche, and I think the design
> > wouldn't be terribly complicated by its accommodation:
> >
> > ```
> > // rename Arithmetic to Ring
> > // it's acceptable to omit `.one` from Ring, though some may call that a
> > Pseudoring
> > // consider omitting division from Ring and pushing it down to
> > BinaryInteger and Field
> >
> > protocol BinaryInteger : Ring { ... }
> >
> > protocol Field : Ring {
> >   static var one { get }
> >   static func / (Self, Self) -> Self
> >   static func /= (inout Self, Self)
> >   var inverted: Self { get } // default impl: .one / self
> > }
> >
> > protocol FloatingPoint : Field { ... }
> > // rational number types and complex number types
> > // would also conform to Field
> > ```
>
> What generic algorithms would this enable?

For one, anything to do with dividing into equal parts could be generic
over floating point, rational, and even complex numbers, but you probably
wouldn't want to include integer types in such an algorithm.

> Would they be appropriate
> for the standard library (as opposed to some more specialized numerics
> library)?

The issue is that it's not terribly ergonomic to relegate `Field` to a
specialized library because one cannot retroactively conform
`FloatingPoint` to `Field`.